Andreja Jaklič is a Professor, senior research fellow and head of the research program at the Centre of International Relations at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana in Slovenia. She currently serves also as Vice Dean of research at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana in Slovenia.
She holds a PhD in International Economics (2004, University of Ljubljana) and her research spans three disciplinary areas, including International Business, International Economics, and European studies (EU in a global economy). Her main research interests are internationalization strategies, export, foreign direct investment, foreign entry strategy, multinational enterprises, particularly multinational enterprises from former transition economies and their effects on competitiveness, growth, productivity, and innovation. She earns her experience from several academic and applied international research projects (European framework programmes, COST Action programme and regional projects, business intelligence projects and workshops, consultancy to international organizations (such as the European Commission, UNCTAD and the OECD), as well as to national government agencies and business.
She was a visiting professor in Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (Austria), Helsinki Centre for Markets in Transition (Finland) and lectured at several other foreign Universities.
Her publications include over 50 scientific articles (including the articles in Journal of Business Research, Journal of World Business, Transnational Corporations, The Services Industries Journal, Eastern European Economies and Post-Communist Economies), several monographs including Enhanced Transition through Outward Internationalization: Outward FDI by Slovenian Firms (Ashgate Publishing, 2003), and several chapters in volumes published by Routledge, Edward Elgar, Palgrave Macmillan, and Ashgate.
She is a co-founder and executive board member of the Academy of International Business Central and Easter European Chapter (AIB – CEEC) and serves as a board member of the European Academy of International Business (EIBA).
She is a founder and an editor-in-chief of CIR Analysis (e-book series) and a member of the editorial board (IBR, EBER, JEEMS, TNCR, etc) and serves as a reviewer in a number of scientific journals.
Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andreja_Jaklic
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.pl/citations?user=xhVUqeUAAAAJ&hl=en
ORCID number: 0000-0001-5118-9112
2019-2021 Evaluation Strategic research and innovation partnerships and smart specialization in Slovenia. (Ministry of Economy)
2018-2021 Firms’ growth: structural dynamics, granularity, internationalization and innovation (Slovenian Research Agency)
2018 – 2021 ERASMUS+: ‘Open Access Digital Video Case Library for Teaching International Business’ (VCL4IB)
2016-2019 Strategic research and innovation partnerships as a tool for developing the innovation capacity of Slovenia and its smart specialization. (Ministry of Economy)
RIO Country reports Slovenia 2016, 2017 (European Commission)
013-2016: Position of Slovenia and Slovenian enterprises in Global Value Chains; Slovenian Research Agency
2010-2013: COST (ISI 90519) Action project The Emergence of Southern Multinationals and their Impact on Europe
2011-2014: Determinants of foreign direct investment in and from Slovenia and identification of economic policy measures for fostering inward and outward internationalisation of Slovenia (Ministry of Economy, Slovenia)
2010-2012: Evaluating anti-crisis measures (Ministry of Economy)
2010 – 2012: Evaluation of policy measures for promoting competitiveness and entrepreneurship in Slovenian economy in 2004-2009 (Ministry of Economy) PROJECT LEADER
2008-2011: ServPPIN FP7- The contribution of public and private services to European growth and welfare, and the role of public-private innovation networks
2007 – 2014: Emerging Market Global Players Project - University of Columbia - Columbia Program on International Investment.(identification and rankings of home-grown MNEs)
2006- 2008: GDN- Regional Research Competition 2006. World bank. –Innovation cooperation and innovation activity; Firm-level evidence from Slovenia.- PROJECT LEADER
2005-2008: Global Governance, Regionalisation and Regulation: The Role of The EU. GARNET- EU Network of Excellence,
2004- 2006: Efficiency, competition and barriers in market services (within the projects Competitiveness of Slovenia, Ministry of Economy).
2002-2005: Measuring direct and indirect effects of ICT to economic growth. Faculty of Social Sciences, Ministry of Science of the Republic of Slovenia,.
2001-2002: The emerging industrial architecture of the wider Europe: University College London.
1998-2000: Small countries in the process of transformation of the global economy. Faculty of Social Sciences.
1998 – 2002: EU Phare ACE Project P98-1162-R: EU-integration-driven investment networking: 1997–1999Outward foreign direct investment of candidate countries.
EU Phare ACE Project P97-80-73-R: Outward internationalisation facilitating transformation and EU accession; The Case of Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovenia.
Honours and awards
Co-operation in PhD programs
- Outstanding Paper Award at the AIB-CEE Conference ‘Boosting competitiveness of Central Europe through digital economy’ organized at the University of Economics in Prague 2016
- National award for achievements in social sciences, (Slovenian Agency for research, Slovenia) 2011
- International Journal for Emerging markets, IJoEM Best Paper on Emerging Markets Award, 2011
- Award for Best PhD. Thesis, 6th International Conference 'Enterprise in Transition', May 2005
- University award for special achievements of young professors, University of Ljubljana, 2002
- Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Ljubljana Prešeren’s award for bachelor’s thesis, 1997
- Several Awards for supervised thesis (for supervised bachelors thesis and master thesis by company awards, Slovenia, for specialist works Universita di Pavia, Students business conference awards of FE)
(supervision of thesis, member of the committee, teaching):
Faculty of Economics and Business Ljubljana, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Faculty of Social Sciences; University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Kaunas University of Technology; Lithuania
Vienna University of Economics and Business; Austria
Hubei University, Wuhan, China
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Previous roles and positions:
- 2017 - Head of the research program: Centre for International Relations.
· 2011 - 2019 Coordinator for the Master program of European Studies; University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences
· 2017 (September- October) Visiting professor in Wuhan, Hubei University
· 2015 (September- October) Visiting professor in Wuhan, Hubei University
· 2015 - Full professor position, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ljubljana
· 2013 – A co-founder and an executive board member Academy of International Business - Central and Easter European Chapter
· 2012 (April – July) Visiting Researcher at WU Vienna University of Economics and Business
· 2010 – 2016 National representative and board member of the European Academy of International Business
· 2009 – 2014 Associate professor; University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social sciences
· 2004 - 2009: Assistant professor: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social sciences, Courses taught: International economics, International Finance, Economics.
· 2008/2009: Assistant professor: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Economics, International Business (postgraduate course international Business Environment)
· 2003 - 2015: Research fellow: Centre for International Relations.
· 2007 - 2009 Cooperation in CoDe Joint European Master in Comparative Local Development by Università degli Studi di Trento, Universität Regensburg, Univerza v Ljubljani, Budapesti Corvinus Egyetem. Courses FDI and development.
· Visiting Researcher at the Centre for Markets in Transition, Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration (October - November 2004)
· 1996 - 1999, Research Assistant, Faculty of Economics, University of Ljubljana (courses: Economics of Tourism, Organization, Business Communication) Consultancy/Commissioned
- · UNCTAD, World Investment Report
- · OECD, Foreign Direct Investment
- · Consultancy/evaluation for European Commission (Research and Innovation Report, Erawatch, Innovation cooperation report)
- · Ministry of economy of the Republic of Slovenia
- · Investment Promotion Agency, Public Agency of the Republic of Slovenia for Entrepreneurship and Foreign Investments
- · Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Slovenia
- · Private enterprises (SMEs and MNEs)
AIB (Academy of International Business),
AIB CEE (Academy of International Business- Central and Eastern Europe), member of the executive committee
EIBA (European International Business Academy), member of the EIBA Board
CEEISA (Central and Eastern European International Studies Association)
IMTA (International Management Teachers Association), CEEMAN
Managing editor JIRD (Journal of International Relations and Development)
DMS (Marketing Association of Slovenia) Reviewer and member of the editorial board (selected list of journals)
International Business Review (member of editorial board)
CIR Analysis; e-book series (Chief editor)
Economia e politica industriale (member of editorial board)
Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review (member of editorial board)
Journal of East European Management Studies (member of editorial board)
Reviewer: Journal of International Management, Journal of World Business, Journal of Business Research