BEHAVE: SEE Beyond Hate: Learning and Acting to Counter Hate Speech Online in South East Europe
EU JUST - BEHAVE
1.1.2020 - 30.6.2021
asist. Andrej Motl
Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, countries of former Yugoslavia located on the Balkan migration route, face increasing hate speech online that exploit tensions and negative attitudes to minority groups. Spread of hatred and radicalization of youth online is a burning issue. Teachers lack knowledge how to address it in classrooms. Several good practices of countering hate speech online exist in the region and EU with few sharing opportunities. The project aims at:
- Identifying good practices and supporting mutual learning on countering hate speech online between state and non-state actors in the three countries;
- Understanding hate speech online, strengthening critical thinking and responding to dominant hate narratives in new media forms addressing particularly young users;
- Raising competencies of secondary school teachers for working with students in addressing hate speech online.
- The Peace Institute (coordinator);
- University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences;
- Center for Peace Studies, Croatia
- Novi Sad School of Journalism.
Back to list of projects