Academic writing: language and style
Jezik in stil strokovnih besedil
6.0 ECTS / 60 (30 hours of lectures, 0 hours of exercises, 30 hours of seminars, 0 hours other forms of work)
doc. dr. Nataša Logar
- Undergraduate Programme of Communication studies - Marketing Communication and Public Relations
- Undergraduate Programme of Cultural studies - Studies of Culture and Creativity
- Undergraduate Programme of Defence Studies
- Undergraduate Programme of Journalism
- Undergraduate Programme of Media and Communication Studies
- Undergraduate Programme of Political Science - Public Policies and Sdministration
- Undergraduate Programme of Political Science - Studies of Politics and the State
- Undergraduate Programme of Social Informatics
- Undergraduate Programme of Sociology
- Undergraduate Programme of Sociology - Human Resources Management
Four topic sections are introduces and discussed: 1. language characteristics of different academic text types, 2. formation of the content of academic texts, 3. formal structure of academic texts, and 4. oral presentation of academic material.
The first section deals with language and text type diversity of academic writing, with its orthography, grammatical, lexical and style correctness or adequacy. Terminology as a constitutive part of academic writing is studied as well.
In the second section mainly the argumentative (substantiative) narrative method of writing and developing a theme is presented. In addition, critical reading and correctness and consistency of the use of scientific apparatus is introduced. In this respect, the question of intertextuality and of intellectual property is also discussed.
In the third section characteristics of the formal structure of academic texts are considered, as well as different ways of citing diverse text sources. In the fourth section students prepare for oral presentations of professional and scientific material.
Please login with you username and password for more information about the course.
Curriculum was last modified on: 08.06.2020